Silk 700s mk2 38 mm mk2 carb.

Eric Ratcliffe
Hi,
technical question.
If pilot jet, is fitted in the body. two stroke.
Should its position in float bowl, four stroke, have a blanking plug.

Eric.

Re: Silk 700s mk2 38 mm mk2 carb.

gasman
Administrator
NO whichever is not used is left open

Re: Silk 700s mk2 38 mm mk2 carb.

hendred
Agree with Gasman, no blanking plug in the pilot jet positions.  My pilot jet is in the float bowl (not the usual position for a 2 stroke according to Amal). It is easy to get the pilot and starting jets mixed up when they are both in the float bowl and have been removed together!

Re: Silk 700s mk2 38 mm mk2 carb.

HENDRED
Eric,

Sorry to cause confusion about jets and blanking plugs in my previous response.  I had my carb. to pieces again today and I believe the following is correct:

If the jet is in the float bowl, the blank is in the body.

If the jet is in the body, the blank is in the float bowl.

I have just changed mine over from the float bowl to the body and the idle seems smoother.  Found the explanation why in Phil Irving's Two-Stroke Power Units; Their Design and Application.  A thoroughly good read on two design and tuning