SILK PARTS GROUP

Arthur Farrow
I have recently acquired a considerable quantity of Silk parts both new and used (tanks, silencers, alloy wheels and bits and bobs) which are sitting a foot deep in my long wheelbase VW Transporter as we speak. It will need considerable sorting so do not contact me for bits yet.

This was a very expensive exercise and these parts have not seen the light of day for many years. I envisage a sort of self help group to keep these bikes going and I have no interest in making a profit once  my own costs are covered or for that matter attending "jumbles"

I do not quite know how this will work, but if we are to keep these bikes going we have to work as a group to ensure such and in this regard I have some experience being Voluntary Chairman of the Vincent Clubs spares company these past 12 years and just about to step down. It is without doubt the largest Club Spares co in the Motorcycle world by far.

Ideas can be floated on how to handle this, but no parts will be released just yet.

Interesting eh???

Re: SILK PARTS GROUP

hendred
Definitely interested and well done.

Re: SILK PARTS GROUP

ukpco
Well done Arthur, it sounds as though you've done us all a favour.

Re: SILK PARTS GROUP

Fredvincent
Well done that man.
Thanks for taking the initiative.

Re: SILK PARTS GROUP

Keepin' on
Wow! Very well done, Arthur. Rhank you. When you’ve been able to assess the situation if you need any practical (if unskilled) help please do shout. I’m sure a number of us would be happy to give time and support.

Re: SILK PARTS GROUP

Chris Exelby
This is truly great news! My Silk came with a box of spares and I would be happy to share them with the group.

Re: SILK PARTS GROUP

Arthur Farrow
Ok I now have sorted it all out, but some parts I am unable to identify and I may post some pictures so you all can help

I have listed a rear grab rail on e bay - as much to gather interest as anything since i do not really intend to sell via E Bay

First picture of wheels and suspension bits

Contact me on arthurwfarrow@hotmail.com ONLY - do not reply to this Forum post it will make the forum clogged !!

Re: SILK PARTS GROUP

I know where you have been glad they have been released

Much too much for me but sure the parts will go.

Re: SILK PARTS GROUP

ashleyb
Thanks to Arthur's 'Parts Group' I have now received the replacement part that I've long been searching for.
What a great service that will no doubt help keep more Silk motorcycles on the road!

Re: SILK PARTS GROUP

Arthur Farrow
So far I have to say requests for parts have been quite disappointing, but of course we are sticking with it!

There is still a lot of stuff on E Bay, but I really do not want to sell via this means convenient that it is . It is really there only as a shop window.

So far I have nearly covered 50% of my outlay which is Ok . At the moment the bits are still on the floor of my large garage  and a few people have been to visit which is nice, but the stuff will have to go away soon and will be less immediately accessible.

I will have to make a list as best I can

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY SPARES (new or used) THEY ARE PREPARED TO PUT IN THE GROUP? Clearly they could be donations or swops but I am not keen to buy more gear

I did think a donation of parts or cash would give one a parts group "membership" as some car clubs do , but that might be fraught with problems

Ideas on how something like this would work would be appreciated. An example : somebody puts in £200 and we use it to make some sprockets which go in the pot. That person then has £200 in their account which they can use at any time, but it could not be withdrawn.

With the cost of manufacture some parts will never be made again, but there are certainly items that could be made  . What would you like???

Re: SILK PARTS GROUP

The sad thing Arthur is that so few Silks are used. Yes the parts are rare or precious but if no one uses the bikes none are needed and nearly all the bikes I have worked on arrived complete all be it in poor condition.

Out of the complete list of know bikes collated I think there are probably less than 20 in full use. The majority being either overseas or in museums.
I guess with 138 ish total bikes ever made its a sad fact 😕
JJ

Re: SILK PARTS GROUP

JJ
I've been out of circulation, in hospitals and stuff and just back.
 I am now fit enough to use my Silk: an IOM trip is booked to the (truncated to 4 days) Manx meeting.

I'm in total confusion of petrol types now at the pumps:
 What is the best for our bikes please?
 I've found no information for 2strokes other than garden tools and chain saws normally tiny much higher revving things than our motors.
If somebody knows good answers for us  please let on!
Thanks Guys
P.S. I'm very much in favour of Arthurs ideas on this invaluable forum and so good of Arthur to 'share' his treasure trove: big thanks from us all.

Thanks Guys
P.S. I'm very much in favour of Arthurs ideas on this invaluable forum and so good of Arthur to 'share' his treasure trove: big thanks from us all.

Re: SILK PARTS GROUP

Keepin' on
Ethanol-free petrol is available over much of the country - from Esso’s website:

“Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.”

Ethanol-free long-life fuel sold for garden machinery is low octane and unlikely to be suitable for our bikes.

For those machines covering a very low annual mileage, an expensive alternative racing fuel could be viable (ethanol free with a life of c. 4 years; 99 RON).  See R Storage Plus on AAOil.co.uk

Re: SILK PARTS GROUP

Thank you for that reply. I am lucky and have an Esso garage near me and is my go to fuel I also use Shell Optimax and have had no issues with that either.
Just keep away from E10 fuels

Re: SILK PARTS GROUP

Arthur Farrow
Just a reminder I have many parts here!

I have a load on E Bay but purely as a "shop window" as their charges are too high particularly on big value stuff

I have new fork top hat rubbers, pistons, swing arm block etc etc Good used 7/16 primary chains clutches and a whole load more. Anybody is welcome to come and have a sort CV23 9NB