Kick Start Spring anyone?

Chris Exelby
Help! My new kick start spring snapped and the with the Scott spares operation now closed there seems to be no readily available replacement. Paul did have some, but no more. So can anyone help or advise where there might be one for sale?

The bike is actually going really well after a winter of fettling -

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

hendred
Scott Owners Club spares scheme?  Have to join the Scott club or find a member who can help.

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

Arthur Farrow
I think you will find Scottparts has closed as the owner a well know Scott enthusiast  emigrated to Australia and a new life..he tried to find a buyer but pretty sure he did not

The Scott Owners Club have a spares scheme run by a chap called Graham Moag WHICH IS QUITE DIFFERENT in Northern Ireland and I'm sure he can help. You will of course have to join as many of us silk owners do.

It may be similar or the same as a Velocette one......post a picture and dimensions please as they are readily available.

I'm sure I do not have any in the Spares Parts Stash but will look again.

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

Arthur Farrow

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

Nick
See my posts on here- I did get one from The Scott Owners Club , but better fit was smokey Pauls.
Also see my post or get in touch as they are not easy to fit!!
/Users/nickgilljones/Desktop/Screenshot 2021-07-10 at 14.53.54.png

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

Arthur Farrow
Please send picture of broken spring (was it Pauls or the Clubs?) . Seem to be various threads from you on issue and could not see a picture

Some questions

Does Smokey Paul know where he got his made? Can he tell us?
Does anybody have a drawing?
There are spring manufacturers for small batches like William smith and Active springs that advertise in Old Bike Mart. Also Alberta Springs in Essex. One of them might be a supplier
Clive Worral might know source.

Any answers anybody? We MUST share stuff like this or the bikes are just museum pieces.

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

Chris Exelby
This post was updated on .
Hi Arthur,

Here is the picture of the broken spring. It broke at the place where the hole is and it was all my fault as I was attempting to increase the angle of the end of the spring as it kept 'jumping off' the spigot when compressed. The diameter is just under 5cm and the width is just over 9mm. I did ease this back from 9.8mm to increase the clearance with the housing when bolted up.

I have joined the Scott owners club and will then be able to see if they have any in stock.

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

Arthur Farrow
Hi Chris...got a picture of the broken bit?

My guess is it was off another machine if not Scott. Looks Scott-ish ...not going to dismantle my 1928 Scott to see sorry!!!!

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

Nick
I have one from the Scott owners club,
The end is not a tight fit on the shaft- unlike the ones Smokey had made and I felt it world work loose.
/Users/nickgilljones/Desktop/Screenshot 2021-07-10 at 14.53.54.png

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

Chris Exelby
Thanks Arthur,

Here is a picture of the place where the hole used to be. You can see that it snapped across the hole and reflecting Nicks comment below I was trying to adapt it as the large hole was allowing the spring to jump off. I have looked for the remaining bit, but it shot off into the garage ....

For reference the spring length (measured with string) is 44.7cm, 1mm thick. 9mm outside diameter of locking ring.

Happy to investigate potential spring suppliers to see if they would be interested in making a small batch if there are no other spares available.

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

ukpco
I have an NOS spring I am about to fit to my bike. It is much larger diameter, presumably because the spring gets compressed in use. I attach a photo. Other dimensions are 1.25mm thickness and 6.6mm inside dia for the end loop. Hope this is useful if anyone decides to get some made.

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

Chris Exelby
This is getting interesting. This spring is quite different to mine, and I can now understand why the instructions on how to fit the spring in our blog, citing the difficulty, did not apply to me as it seemed straightforward as it slotted in the housing easily. Perhaps my spring was the wrong one for the Silk? The issue I have always had is that the kickstart was always too floppy and attempts to tighten the spring had no impact.

Can we have a second opinion on which is the correct design? If we get some made it needs to be right!

Sorry to be dumb, but what is a NOS spring?

What is the depth of the spring?

My Silk is number 46, and has the earlier kickstart shaft.

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

ukpco
NOS = New Old Stock.

I didn't know there were different kick start designs.

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

I'm on it ok this is obviously an issue for everyone.
The problem with these flat springs is getting the correct heat treatment etc.

If Dale has the drawing and gets it to me that would help everyone.

I have access to small quality and protype part manufacturing now as workshop manager at Norton Motors

Again if Dale gets me the drawings sorted I maybe able to get any part replicated to a high standard

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

Chris Exelby
Thanks Paul, Its clear to me now that the issues I have had with the spring are due to it being an incorrect design. Congratulations Paul on your new role at Norton - what a dream job for someone who enjoys motorbikes!

Looking forward to getting the Silk back the road and happy to pay whatever it costs for the correct spring.

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

Chris as soon as I have the drawing from Dale I will sort this out.
What could be helpful is if you could send ne your broken spring as a sample

Thanks

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

Chris Exelby
Hi Paul,

The thing is I think my spring is wrong for the Silk. The one from adpco in the thread is different and if it’s NOS then it might also address the spring location and strength issues I have experienced.

Can anyone else verify the correct design?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

Hi Chris send it to me at work and I will compare it with one I have in a bike for restoration.
Hopefully Dale will have the drawing to me soon.

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

Chris Exelby
Great I will send asap, please text me your address to 077857768940

Re: Kick Start Spring anyone?

Chris I have the drawing at work and having some new high quality springs made.

Will still call but your number is wrong above ?
12