Fork springs?

Nick
I have just taken my fork caps off to replace the oil.
The forks are spondon and the springs look a bit like progressive with tight wound coils at one end much wider at the other.
One had the tight at the top- the other the wider at the top!

Which way should they be?

My thoughts are tighter at the bottom?

/Users/nickgilljones/Desktop/Screenshot 2021-07-10 at 14.53.54.png

Re: Fork springs?

RalfR
Hi Nick,
Use the tight end on top. Any spacer also on the top side.
Regards
Ralf

Re: Fork springs?

Arthur Farrow
I would not think it would make any difference. I'd use the tight coils on the bottom as they will be heavier and improve centre of gravity

Re: Fork springs?

Progressive springs have the tighter windings at the top.
The open windings at the bottom allow free movement under normal road conditions whereas under heavy braking the progressive action is more loaded to the top stiffening the action.