steering head / triple trees

Dirk
Hello fellows,

again something strange finding on my silk;
the two tapered rollerbearings in the steering head get adjusted with a long bolt/screw, that also clamps the triple tree together. That bolt is only 9,65 mm in Diameter !
On bikes from other bike manufacturers i usually see there a tube with at least 20 mm in diameter.......

Is that a "custom" build of a previous owner, or is that how it came from the factory?

Re: steering head / triple trees

hendred
My Silk is just the same.  So presummably that is how they were built. With the top and bottom yokes clamped to the fork stantions I don't think it is a problem.  Just check everything is tight.  I think some of the earlier yokes cracked if over tightened.  Smokey Paul will know more about this.

Re: steering head / triple trees

Arthur Farrow
This is the standard set up. Bit different to standard practice, but I guess that sis the Spondon racing heritage.

It is true some yokes cracked (mine did) and the clamping arrangement of the stanchions was changed....I do have some yokes in the SILK PARTS "SELF HELP" GROUP I have been trying to start without vast sucess.

Re: steering head / triple trees

Dirk
thank you, that info gives me "piece of mind"