removing the fork top caps

Nick
A great year on the Silk so I am keeping it again- for one last year!

I plan to do a lot of work to improve it this winter.

First job- I want to replace the fork oil, how best to remove the caps, to my knowledge they have not been off since new.

My thought are to remove both legs and soak in plus gas for a while.
I would welcome any ones experience?
/Users/nickgilljones/Desktop/Screenshot 2021-07-10 at 14.53.54.png

Re: removing the fork top caps

hendred
The screw on the top caps hadn't been removed for at least 25 years and it came undone without any difficulty. I used a 7/32" hex socket with a short extension to clear the clock housing.  Made sure the hex hole in the bolt was clean and the hex socket went in full depth.  Tried it again this morning and the cap bolt released quite easily.  The problem removing the forks is they tend to stick on the headlamp support rubbers.  They tend to break up when removing the forks, use plenty of washing up liquid helps and a set of Arthur's new rubbers is good insurance.  Not sure if has any left though.  If all you want to do is change the oil you could follow the initial procedure for replacing the seals in technical/data/downloads/Silk forks in the main section of this site.  Still have to remove the top caps to refill the forks but you don't have to remove the fork legs and risk damaging the headlamp support rubbers.  Plenty on this topic if enter " fork removal" in the search section.
Hope this helps.

Re: removing the fork top caps

Nick
Thanks will order some I have Arthurs email and number somewhere.
I will let you know who I get on.

Started this years improvements New fuel tap and Kick start rubber fromFeked.com cheaper than eBay

/Users/nickgilljones/Desktop/Screenshot 2021-07-10 at 14.53.54.png

Re: removing the fork top caps

Arthur Farrow
I do have some rubbers left. You will need a set of 4

BTW My mould for headlamp rubbers is held here . The first 2 batches were made by my retired mate for fun, but he sold his kit to a company so these are now being made professionally (on the same equipment  and to the same standard) and sadly (?) including tax of course

They are £32.50 posted UK first class per set. Outside UK please ask postage cost.

Payment can be by cheque to me (e mail for address) or paypal (family and friends ONLY please) at arthurwfarrow@hotmail.com