Zener earthing

Hi All,

I had a strange charging failure on my bike after being put away for the winter the charge circuit would over charge causing the indicators to run fast etc.

After much searching I found that the zener did not have a good earth path back from the lower yoke and I am having to improve the earth circuit around the frame and headstock, anyone else done this?

Re: Zener earthing

I am now also changing my rectifier for a Maplins one to be sure, I will let you know the results.

Re: Zener earthing

All done but still have a problem....But found it.

If anyone has a Lucas 3AW light control unit driving your charge warning light change it if you ever think you have a fault with your charge circuit, they seem very unreliable after some searching.

Re: Zener earthing

Hendred
Paul,

Only had charging problems after inadvertently disconnecting the lead to the zener!  I'm gad I have an ammeter fitted, the 3AW relay just adds another complication.  Did you fit an original type 3AW relay or a modern electronic equivalent? The original is really a mechanical relay. The relay seems to have been used on early Lucas car alternators to supply the DC field current on start up.  Norton used the same relay on later Commandos for the same purpose as Silk and connected it to the AC side of the alternator. The original mechanical type relay works ok on AC but it would be interesting to know if the electronic type does as well.

Re: Zener earthing

Hi I fitted a NOS original type, I did look at the solid state type but they seemed very expensive and as I was not sure I stuck with the Lucas original.

I still seem to be high on the voltage though 13-16v with nothing on but a nice 12-13v with the lights on. I have a sealed battery on at present and I am not sure of its condition so I am going to buy a traditional lead acid one at the weekend and hopefully that will be the final piece of the puzzle.

Re: Zener earthing

gasman
Administrator
Paul I also had a sealed battery which was not a cheap one and that only lasted about a year, in reality it probably started to give problems after 6 months.
I have a different alternator as you would expect and I use a Podtronics reg/rect and yes they are expensive but appear to do there job very well. My new Acid battery is behaving perfectly and was a cheap one.

Any update on that filter yet before I spend even more money.

Re: Zener earthing

yep lead acid battery does the trick perfect now.

Yes I am really pleased with the RAM air filter the bike appears to run crisper and not as rich as with the K&N.

Without doubt looks better anyway

RE: Zener earthing

gasman
Administrator
Good, looks like i'm buying one then

Kevin Bayliss

Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 11:46:23 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Zener earthing

yep lead acid battery does the trick perfect now.

Yes I am really pleased with the RAM air filter the bike appears to run crisper and not as rich as with the K&N.

Without doubt looks better anyway

http://silk-motorcycles.6084.x6.nabble.com/Zener-earthing-tp5000784p5000793.html
To start a new topic under Silk Motorcycles, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Silk Motorcycles, click here.
NAML

RE: Zener earthing

Found I had the wrong Lucas flasher unit fitted also which was rated for a side flasher as well as the main lights and warning lamp. Now with the correct rated flasher indicators perfect too.