Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Eric Ratcliffe
Hi,
As posted,I bought MZ gaiters #05 28 042, listed for Silks.
From The MZ Shop, these do not fit, cannot get chain thru them.
They seem to be a pattern part, no part numbers,I will have to return them.

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Hendred
What size chain are you using?  I understand the chain is a tight fit when the gaitors are new.  MZ would have used a 1/2 x 3/16 chain and the Silk a 5/8 x 1/4 according to my handbook.

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Eric Ratcliffe
Hi Hendred,

Your right, that Silk uses 5/8" x 1/4" chain.
The gaiters where listed as o/k for Silk 700s,the old gaiters where MZ 125cc/150cc yet fitted perfect.
The gaiters listed for Silks where from MZ 250cc,MZ Shop mentioned 420 chain,modern size ?.

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Eric Ratcliffe
Hi Hendred,

Just looked up chain size table, 5/8" x 1/4" is modern size 520.
Size 420, is 1/2" x 1/4" chain.

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Eric Ratcliffe
Hi,
    The size mentioned by MZ Shop was 428 not 420, 428 is 1/2" x 5/16" chain.
Roller o/d for 428 chain is 0.335", ( 8.51mm ) roller o/d for 520 chain is 0.400", ( 10.16mm )
So it looks like the roller o/d, is the problem.
Yet the MZ gaiters for 125cc/150cc 13 28 014, which use's 420 chain, 0.305" ( 7,75mm ) o/d roller.
Will fit ( original factory part ) and run o/k, based on this no MZ gaiters should fit, confusing isn't it.

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Hendred
I have some used original MZ gaitors with the part numbers given by the MZ shop as correct for Silks.  They came with the bike as spares.  I'll try some old chain in them to see how tight the fit is after use.

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Hendred
Got out my spare gaiters with part no. 05 28 042.  On inspection one was new and the other used but in good condition.  I pulled my old chain through the used gaiter with a thin piece of wire with no trouble.  Tried the new gaiter and failed completely!  The internal ribs gripped the chain and it stuck fast.  I'll give it another go later with plenty of lubricant.

I read on an MZ forum where they used coat hanger wire to pull the chain through the gaiter and the gaiters took about 50 miles to run in!

I measured the gaiters at 370mm long.  On checking, the ones on my Silk are after market ones which seem softer than original MZ ones - could be age though.

I measured MZ TS 250 gaiters at 390mm long so these would be too long.

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Hendred
Tried again on the new gaiter, sprayed  the inside liberally with chain lub. and managed to pull the chain through using a thick string.  It was pretty tight but eased up as I worked the chain in and out with more chain lub.

It would be a real fun job trying to do this on the bike.

Can see now why there is the comment in the Silk manual, Section E 3.2  ""Ensure final drive chain is kept well lubricated while rubber "gaiters" are wearing themselves in."

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Eric Ratcliffe
Hi,
   Got a refund, from The MZ Shop Ltd,not what I wanted,now no new gaiters.
I would have liked them, to have tried 520 chain, in 13 28 014 gaiters,but they did not.
The gaiters in use at the moment, 13 28 014 should not fit on book specs,yet do.
I have ordered a new pair of these 13 28 014.lets see if they fit.

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Eric Ratcliffe
Hi
  Yet more news, in the never ending,MZ chain gaiter saga.
The MZ Shop Ltd, has delisted 05 28 042 gaiters, as o/k for Silks.

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Eric I dont inderstand this I have these part numbers fitted to my bike and also I have a spare set that look perfect as well.

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Eric Ratcliffe
Hi Paul,
          Could it be that original MZ gaiters, where generous on chain sizing.
Where as these pattern MZ gaiters, are not so generous on chain sizing.

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Eric Ratcliffe
Hi
  Got good & bad news today,new gaiters where delivered,but not the right ones #13 28 014 but some
ETZ model. Had to send them back,looking at a german MZ spares shop,Ost2rad.com
They have # 05 28  042 gaiters. with a very detailed discription. looks to be a very good online site.
Emailed them,about being used on Silk 700s with 520 chain.waiting for reply.
MZ made a 500cc bike with a rotax engine,but still using MZ chain gaiters, with 520 chain.
Unfortunately they ars to long, 460mm, to #05 28 042  360 mm.

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Mine were tight when new I do remember that and I had to use wire to pull the chain thru, I think this part number is correct maybe some good old hot water would have softened them up to start the ball rolling.

Good luck but I will be sticking to this number

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Eric Ratcliffe
Hi
   Repacement chain gaiters delivered, they fit 520 chain, passes thru easily.
   Gaiter length 365 mm, no numbers on the side, so pattern part.
   They fit just the same, as factory MZ gaiter 13 28 014,fit o/k on ends to.
   Couple of flaps to cut off,big bellows end.
   Job done, thank goodness.

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Hendred
Just for clarification, what part no. did you order from Ost2rad?  Was it 13 28 014?

Thanks

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Eric Ratcliffe
Hi  Hendred,
                  Yes, they where 13 28 014, gaiters.
As mentioned I had a pair of new genuine MZ gaiters 13 28 014,stored since 82, but had surface cracks.
These fitted o/k, just being replaced because of surface cracks.
These replacement gaiters fitted just as well as the genuine MZ 13 28 014 gaiters.
They sell MZ chain gaiters, 05 28 042 as well,they don't call them chain gaiters, but chain rubbers.

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Good to know thanks
JJ

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

JJ
Hi Eric
Very handy to know - my bike wore through its bottom gaiter at the TT.
Ost2rad have the same part number for two different prices. I don't know what the difference is between them but I just ordered the cheaper ones
Thanks for all the research and sharing your experiences struggling with recalcitrant rubber on behaf of us all!
John

Re: Yet more MZ gaiter stuff

Titan500
SO 13 28 014 gaiters would fit length wise but a bit tight where the chain goes as opposed to es250 ones with part number ending in 42?