Tomaselli Twist grip

hendred
I believe the following only applies to the Amal 2038 38mm carbs.  While checking the jetting of my carb I noticed that slide was not opening fully.  To cut along story short I found that if the oil pump cable was adjusted correctly the carb slide would not open fully.  To get the carb slide fully open I had to have too much slack in the oil pump cable.  Thinking I had a twist grip fault I looked for a Tomaselli Daytona 2C twist grip and found plenty on Ducati sites.  There was an interesting note to them - only suitable for up to 36mm carbs, have to modify internally for larger carbs.  Didn't say anywhere what the modification was but I suspect it was cutting back the internal stop on the cable drum. This is ok for two identical carbs.

The travel on the twist grip matched the oil pump travel perfectly.  This meant the only way to get the carb slide open with a properly adjusted oil pump cable was to have a bigger drum on the twist grip for the throttle. I measured the drum at 35mm diameter and worked out that it needed to be 36.5mm to get the carb slide fully open.  I had some 1.7mm diameter plastic covered soft iron wire which fitted into the twist grip barrel groove and filed a flat on it for the throttle cable nipple to fit over it.  The flat locked the wire in position.  Now the carb slide opened fully and the oil pump cable had a very small amount of slack on full throttle at the twist grip.  A 38mm snap ring would make a better job of it than the wire but would need to be thinned down to fit the groove.  The bike certainly goes better now the carb slide opens fully.
Has anybody else had this problem and how did you solve it?

Re: Tomaselli Twist grip

Dirk
perfect job !
i will check that on my bike next week.