Silk Return Spring continued

Titangt500
Hi all ,on previous threads there has been much debate about the lack of back up spares regarding silk return springs . It seems they have become none existent , and people's efforts have unfortunately been met with expensive quotes for small batches of new springs being manufactured.. I ordered a standard Scott spring from Graham Moag at Scott Spares scheme . It arrived to be physically much larger than the standard Silk one , so I was very unsure as to whether it would coil up to fit inside the kickstart bearing housing .

I first began by holding the spring in a vice and drilling it out slightly to fit over the peg on the kickstart shaft (I was careful not to go out too wide and weaken the spring , as this is where they are prone to breaking ). With some fiddling you can place this over the peg on the shaft , hook it into the machined slot on the triangular bearing housing , and began to twist , closing the spring up whilst carefully pushing the housing onto the shaft , keeping it square for the bearing to go onto the shaft correctly. Once fastened up , the Silk return spring returned with a really positive and keen return . So overall I'm happy how it worked out!

Hope this helps !

Re: Silk Return Spring continued

Chris Exelby
Excellent news indeed! Can you confirm exactly the spring part number that you ordered? I can imagine that there are many types available?

Re: Silk Return Spring continued

Nick
I am a member of the Scott Owners Club and bought, what I was told, was the only return spring they sold.
It had a hole much bigger than the retention peg and was a very slack fit on the shaft.

Smokey Paul sold me one that fitted tightly to my shaft and was easier to install.

I still have the Scott one
/Users/nickgilljones/Desktop/Screenshot 2021-07-10 at 14.53.54.png

Re: Silk Return Spring continued

Titangt500
Hi Nick ,

Not sure of the differences , but this definitely came from the Scott Owners club and was much tighter than the silk return shaft peg .

how do I post a photo on here of the Scott one I dint use?
/Users/nickgilljones/Desktop/Screenshot 2021-07-10 at 14.53.54.png

Re: Silk Return Spring continued

Chris Exelby
Hi Dale,

Is this the spring that you fitted in your Silk?

Cheers,
Chris

https://www.scottracingmotorcycles.com/images/scottracing73737284.jpg