Silencer

hendred
I was checking my silencer wadding recently after looking at the silencer drawing in the download section on this site.  The silencer drawing shows a 50mm or 2" perforated tube inside the wadding.  My silencer has some flat wire gauze rolled into tube instead of a perforated tube with a diameter of about 40mm. The recess in the aluminium end cap is machined to take a 1 5/8" (42mm) tube.  My question is do you have a perforated tube or a piece of rolled wire gauze in the end of the silencer and what size is it?  If it is about 40mm it suggests the drawing may have a error.

Thanks for looking.

Re: Silencer

Fredvincent
Mine is also rolled wire gauze, 40mm diameter.
Bike is one of the last 15 bikes built.

Re: Silencer

hendred
Thanks for looking and getting back to me.  Mine is a late Silk too so it suggests the rolled gauze is an original factory fitting.  Seems to work but not very elegant.

Re: Silencer

ukpco
Mine's a 40mm expanded metal tube. Engine number 80.

Re: Silencer

hendred
Thanks for replying.  Looks like the earlier bikes had the expanded metal too. The 50mm tube in the Silencer drawing looks incorrect for many bikes.

Re: Silencer

I have my Silk and two others here all have the metal tube I think it is what was on the shelf at the time. The bikes range from about Mk1 mid range to my very late Mk2 ... but packing the exhaust with a good 2 stroke silencer wadding seems to improve them at the bottom end really well.