Silencer rechroming

Jimbob
I dropped off my silencer at the rechromer yesterday. They were hesistant to do the job as the internal wadding and metal mesh needed removing. Anyone had experience of this and how to restuff it afterwards?

Re: Silencer rechroming

I dont think there are any issues and if I remember correctly there is a thread about re-packing the exhaust and what was best to use. I have a big bag of two stroke packing just bought from eBay I have used in the past.

I believe Hendred did similar he may confirm. I have two exhausts for re-plating so lets see.

Re: Silencer rechroming

Hendred
Yes.  There is a thread on the page before this about repacking the silencer.  Was pretty straight forward.  I decided to use the fibreglass wool packing, somebody else was going to use stainless.  Pay your money and take your pick.  I used this packing, it expands on heating and filled the silencer nicely:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Exhaust-Can-Silencer-Re-Packing-Wadding-Sheet-450mm-x-1m-High-Quality-/181633559294?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4a342afe

Take out the cap head screw and remove the aluminium endcap.  It is a tight fit.  Remove wire gauze and old packing, if there is any left.  Look down the silencer and you will see a pipe. Cut a piece to fill the space around the pipe and stuff into the silencer.  Cut another piece to fit around gauze, enough to make a snug fit between gauze and silencer body. Insert into silencer, replace end cap.  Start engine and allow to heat up.  Job done.

Made a big difference to the running of the bike.

Re: Silencer rechroming

Jimbob
Thanks for your help. Rechromer reckons job won't be ready for 4-6 weeks so I will order some packing now. With any luck should be all done and ready to enjoy by Easter