Primary Chain

peter Whitwell
I understand the primary chain for the 700 is no longer made, can anyone tell me what is the specification of chain are please.Peter

Re: Primary Chain

gasman
Administrator
7/16 duplex as used on old land rovers and Triumph T160

Sent from my iPhone

On 22 Jan 2015, at 21:35, Peter [via Silk Motorcycles] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I understand the primary chain for the 700 is no longer made, can anyone tell me what is the specification of chain are please.Peter

http://silk-motorcycles.6084.x6.nabble.com/Primary-Chain-tp5001227.html
To start a new topic under Silk Motorcycles, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Silk Motorcycles, click here.
NAML

Re: Primary Chain

peter Whitwell
Thanks Gas man

Peter

Re: Primary Chain number of links

peter Whitwell
Thanks for the info so far can you tell me how links are in this primary chain please

Peter

Re: Primary Chain number of links

Titan500
Hi , i do not know how many links this chain consists of , mine had seen better days , the last 7/16 chain had been bought up and cut to Triumph T160 measurements , which is unfortunately shorter than a silk chain. so i went down the route of upgrading to a 3/8 primary drive when Gasman (Crazy ) Kev did my engine , I would suggest this as the way forwards. Mr Bayliss may even have a spare kit to do it :)

Re: Primary Chain number of links

peter Whitwell
Thanks Titan 500
I'm grateful for the help,

Re: Primary Chain number of links

Dirk
Hello my friends,
...regarding primary chain tensioner;
my handbook says "tighten as resistence is felt, then loosen screw 3 full turns"
When i adjust like this, i can hear/feel, that esp. at low rpm/high load on engine situations,
that the chain is "rattling" , seems to have too much play.
shouldnt it be tighter?
Dirk

Re: Primary Chain number of links

Yes absolutely that was updated in the later handbooks.
It should now be tensioned with the engine running and tightened until you can hear the whining noise of the chain then back off slightly until the noise has gone.
If you tighten too much you will hear the revs drop as pressure is supplied on the chain again let off and you will hear the revs pick back up.
In general best way is to feel the tension while running you will feel the sweet spot.

Re: Primary Chain number of links

Peter did you get the chain sorted?

Re: Primary Chain number of links

Arthur Farrow
I do have several usable original chains as well as sprockets in the Silk Parts Group

Re: Primary Chain number of links

peter Whitwell
Hi Paul,

Thanks for touching base regarding primary chain- No I didn't go forward with chain replacement all seems to well currently but wanted to be reassured of the size and availability- very great full for your help.

Re: Primary Chain number of links

If you are worried I would buy one from Arthur as they are non existent for sensible money.