Power or lack of,,,,,

gasman
Administrator
Paul I take it you get a reasonable turn of speed and power from your bike, I've not looked at the plugs yet but power is dismal, 1st and second seem ok third and top feel as if the bikes pulling but struggling to get 60mph, it will nearly do 40 in first if I let it and scream the poor girl.
Get over one hurdle then theres another one to occupy your mind. Silk's don't you love them.. Kev

Re: Power or lack of,,,,,

I will give you a call

Re: Power or lack of,,,,,

gasman
Administrator
Hi no probs will be in later, looks like you keep the same sorts of times as I do, Kev

Re: Power or lack of,,,,,

Might be a silly question but when did you pull your plugs?

Best time on a two stroke is after a full bore hard run then shut off and switch off to preserve the colour, if this is after a short run it still looks a slight on the lean slide but very difficult to tell and also oil deposit looks a bit low to me

Re: Power or lack of,,,,,

gasman
Administrator
Forgot to take a spanner with me to check so wasn't after a blast, I did try putting cold start on at 60 just to see if it choked or pulled better but no real difference. Perseverance is the key?

Re: Power or lack of,,,,,

hendred
I expect you have checked this already - my bike was very down in power initially due to a partial blockage of the fuel system to the carb.  Cleaned the filter on the petrol tap and all then well again.

Re: Power or lack of,,,,,

Kev I did a 40 mile run last night and to be honest I did not go much over 60mph anyway as I am trying to be careful while running in the engine and getting things settled. Yes first and second are very nice and good acceleration I then get to the speed I want in third and slip into fourth, thus this suits my driving style at present. I think you have to be very committed to a full bore run to get the best from fourth gear anyway.

I think you also have to remember this is not a modern high reving stroker but a gentlemens tourer really, I must admit if you give mine a big handfull in fourth it makes more noise than does anything else lol but I think my motor is still quite tight and has no run in yet.

I am out again Saturday and will give it a bit more stick to see what it does.

Re: Power or lack of,,,,,

gasman
Administrator
My internet and phone lines are down due to some idiot ripping up 50meters of cable while hedge trimming. Just got mot so will be able to do more runs. I suspect i have a timing issue but had better chk revs as think its only revving to about 3 or 4 thous. Mine sits at 55 open throttle to drown out any peace and also very little extra forward motion

Sent from Samsung mobile

"Smokey_Paul [via Silk Motorcycles]" wrote:

Kev I did a 40 mile run last night and to be honest I did not go much over 60mph anyway as I am trying to be careful while running in the engine and getting things settled. Yes first and second are very nice and good acceleration I then get to the speed I want in third and slip into fourth, thus this suits my driving style at present. I think you have to be very committed to a full bore run to get the best from fourth gear anyway.

I think you also have to remember this is not a modern high reving stroker but a gentlemens tourer really, I must admit if you give mine a big handfull in fourth it makes more noise than does anything else lol but I think my motor is still quite tight and has no run in yet.

I am out again Saturday and will give it a bit more stick to see what it does.

http://silk-motorcycles.6084.x6.nabble.com/Power-or-lack-of-tp5000840p5000849.html
To start a new topic under Silk Motorcycles, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Silk Motorcycles, click here.
NAML

Re: Power or lack of,,,,,

Yes does sound like the timing is out as mine can definately pull well in top gear without major issues, mind you if the timing was well out the engine should be getting over hot and would be noticeable

Re: Power or lack of,,,,,

Did another 50 miles or so today pulled a bit harder in the lower gears and found 60mph is aound 4000rpm on my bike and picks up well from there when given a handfull.

Still not happy with my primary chain tension and may have to have another go at the clutch as it is a bit juddery when stuck in slow traffic.

Other than that happy happy happy.