Plastic bungs

Hi All does anyone know exactly what the two plastic bungs were that covered the swing arm adjuster pivots on the frame? They were hard plastic and I think about 1 1/2" diameter.

One other board user is looking into this also, any luck Hendred?

Re: Plastic bungs

hendred
I found out why one of mine was missing - when I tried fitting the near side plug to the off side the eccentric adjuster bolts prevented the plug from fitting.  It needed to be deeper.  The only plugs I can find which might work are for plugging the ends of tubes Ebay item 221124356712.  They would have to be cutdown in length to fit.

Re: Plastic bungs

Hendred
Paul,

I have ordered some bungs - will let you know if they work.

Regards,

Jon

Re: Plastic bungs

Ok and I will try some cable protectors from work which look similar.

Will update Paul

Re: Plastic bungs

hendred
The bungs arrived, the finish is smooth shiny black whereas the original is a crackle finish.  A plug can be trimmed to fit neatly to the nearside (1/2" square for chain adjustment). I now know why the offside plug is missing - the socket head bolt sticks out beyond the chain adjusting eccentric so that the original shallow plug will not engage with the inside diameter of the adjusting eccentric.  The new plug can trimmed to fit but sticks out about 3mm due to the socket head bolt.

I have looked for a picture of the offside of an original Silk, I only have a 1979 brochure and that shows the plug on the nearside.  Unfortunately there is no clear picture of the offside.

Two questions: 1) does the socket headed bolt stick out on all Silks?, 2) if it does was there ever a plug on the offside?

Re: Plastic bungs

Yes you are right mine sticks out on the off side as well?

Re: Plastic bungs

hendred
I tried to find some contemporary pictures of new Silks - all I could find didn't have a bung on the off side, only on the near side.  One of the quirks of a bespoke motorcycle!