Paddock stands

Stenton
I need to buy a pair of paddock stands for my 1977 Silk Mk2, and would be grateful for advice as to which ones are most suitable; cost is a secondary consideration.

Re: Paddock stands

AFM_2
Hi, this is not the full answer, I know, but in case this helps, the best solution I've found to date for the rear wheel is to get some steel bar, or better still, turn-down to a shoulder, two larger bits of bar, so that they fit snugly into both sides of the hollow wheel spindle.  You can then use almost any paddock stand, or a pair of car axle stands to get the rear wheel up in the air.

However, apart from shaping a wooden support and then using a scissor jack under the engine, I've not found a completely satisfactory answer re the front wheel / forks.

Hopefully others can add what I'm missing?

Andrew

Re: Paddock stands

Stenton

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your helpful suggestion.
I do have the usual things like an hydraulic jack, axle stands etc, but the Silk is a different problem altogether.
An ideal solution, I think, would be to make and fit an unobtrusive centre stand - preferably one which supported the bike at or near it`s point of balance.
It woiuld also help if it enabled the engine/gearbox assembly to be removed from the frame whilst the bike was on the centre stand.
It would, of course, add a little bit of weight, but not enough to be noticeable, I think.
I will see if it is possible, and put a posting on the forum at a later date.

Kind regards,

Robin.

On 14/08/2016 15:44, AFM_2 [via Silk Motorcycles] wrote:
Hi, this is not the full answer, I know, but in case this helps, the best solution I've found to date for the rear wheel is to get some steel bar, or better still, turn-down to a shoulder, two larger bits of bar, so that they fit snugly into both sides of the hollow wheel spindle.  You can then use almost any paddock stand, or a pair of car axle stands to get the rear wheel up in the air.

However, apart from shaping a wooden support and then using a scissor jack under the engine, I've not found a completely satisfactory answer re the front wheel / forks.

Hopefully others can add what I'm missing?

Andrew

http://silk-motorcycles.6084.x6.nabble.com/Paddock-stands-tp5001546p5001547.html
To unsubscribe from Paddock stands, click here.
NAML

Re: Paddock stands

Hendred
I use car axle stands under the rear footrests to lift the rear wheel off the ground.  For the front wheel I take out the spark plugs, put a stout piece of oak under the frame rails and support the ends of the wood on two adjustable height stands I have for other uses.  Lifting the bike like this keeps it stable with the wheel out.

Doesn't answer the paddock stand question but this is how I support my Silk.

Re: Paddock stands

Stenton
Thanks for the helpful tip, and I will probably try it later.

Re: Paddock stands

I use a big blue bike lift works brillaintly and gives you a multitude of options and stores easily.
http://on-bike.com/motorcycle-lift-eazyrizer-big-blue.htm