New member

DavidM
Hello everybody, just found and joined this forum. I have Silk 700s/2/43 which I bought in 2002 but haven't had on the road as work kept getting in the way! The bike has the spoked wheels, Spondon caliper, Lucas speedo and hence no tachometer, an ammeter and the optional indicators were not fitted! Having taken early retirement and moved to the Orkney Islands I am hoping to have more time for my projects. The bike has only done 5k miles but the engine and gearbox were rebuild by Graham Rhodes in 1992 due to the dreaded water in the crankcase and the bike has not been on the road since. The previous owner was selling it to fund his upcoming divorce!! There are signs of accident damage, front mudguard has been broken and fibreglassed together, the ammeter casing has been broken and badly reglued, the kickstart shaft is bent back about 15 degrees but only on the splined part, the header tank is dented on the left side and the fork stop has been broken off leading to the throttle hitting the tank and knocking some paint of the tank. I will now be looking through the messages for the valuable knowledge it will contain, and am sure I will have plenty future questions to ask. Regards DavidM

Re: New member

AFM_2
Hi David and welcome to the forum.  I know non of these are exactly close-by, but you will find that there are several Silk enthusiasts in Scotland. At risk of missing someone out, I will just name a few starting with Gasman Kev, who stays near Dunfermline, George, who lives near Stirling, and myself, just outside Aberdeen.  There is also an active Scott Owners Group that meets at Thornhill, Stirlingshire.  Good luck with your project.  Andrew

Re: New member

Titan500
Would love to see pictures David :)

Re: New member

Yes welcome David nothing sounds too bad all of the parts you mention are not beyond help. I may have some parts to help here also.

Regards Paul

Re: New member

David can you please email me your frame and engine no. so I can add you to the register please?

Thanks Paul

Re: New member

DavidM
Thanks Andrew, I worked in Aberdeen for 4 years before heading south of the border. Still have friends in Ellon and Inverurie. Regards David

Re: New member

DavidM
Hi Paul, frame number 700/s/43, engine number 700/s/45. I have 3 Silk wiring diagrams, none of which match my bike, so have labelled and traced out all the wiring. Looks like the wiring has been got at, at least three types of bullet connecters and four off them came of when trying to disconnect them, think I might change to the Japanese style bullets. Always thought Silk switchgear was Suzuki but when I removed mine it is Kawasaki! Also found the instrument binnacle has had a knock which has bent the support legs and distorted the housing making the speedo difficult to remove. The metal plate supporting the coils  has the front right corner cracked off and two large fracture cracks the around the front right corner, is this normal? Always seems like a bad idea to start pulling old bikes apart. Thanks for the offer of help with parts, what might you have?
regards David.

Re: New member

DavidM
Hi, have ended up pulling more of bike apart, will see if I have got an older photo around somewhere. The bike is the metallic dark green wit the gold pinstriping.
Regards David

Re: New member

Thanks David I will add you to the known register.

Paul