New Battery and Digital Multimeters

Hendred
Put a new battery on the Silk and thought I'd just check the charging voltage at the battery.  It was jumping all over the place, going up to 20 volts.  Thought I had a zener diode problem or a bad earth .  Checked all the connections and continuity of the earths and nothing wrong.  Clipped the meter onto the zener terminal and alls well.  Turned out the digital multimeter and leads were picking up interference from the ignition system.  Moved the meter away from the battery area and all ok.  Only gave me an hour and a half of head scratching!  At least I know the earth points on the bike are all good now!

Re: New Battery and Digital Multimeters

Hi Hendred sorry to say I had the same issue a few years ago and yes I should have maybe put my findings on the forum as well and saved you some time !

I fitted a Gel (yellow type) battery and thought I had a weird charging problem until my battery on the digital voltmeter died and I used my good old Avo8. I thought I had an issue with the charge warning light circuit and the Lucas light control relay can but of course no!

Guess what I use all of the time now on my bikes

Old technology always seems to work I guess.