Kick Start Return Springs

Hendred
I was wondering what could possibly go wrong this year - found out yesterday when the kickstart return spring broke.  It looked like there had been some water in the spring housing at some time which had left small rust pits on the spring and that is where the spring failed.  Fortunately I had a spare in a box of parts which came with the bike.  It was quite a fight to fit the new spring and I was wondering if somebody has a better way of doing it.  Here's how I fitted my spare:

fitted the new spring over the peg on the kickstart shaft.

the unwound spring is much too large to go in the spring housing and the rounded end would not go in the slot.

made a small loop on the end of a piece of strong string and looped it round the spring.

wound the spring up and tightened the string to hold it.

slipped the housing over the the spring and engaged the rounded end in the housing, then worked the rest of the spring into the housing.

removed string, silicon sealer on join face and bolt up.

I worked but took several attempts.  If any body knows a better I liked to hear it for next time!

Re: Kick Start Return Springs

gasman
Administrator
Just ask Clive, then after the swearing do as you did. Not an easy job.

Sent from my iPhone

On 7 Jun 2014, at 09:34, "Hendred [via Silk Motorcycles]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://silk-motorcycles.6084.x6.nabble.com/Kick-Start-Return-Springs-tp5001096.html
To start a new topic under Silk Motorcycles, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Silk Motorcycles, click here.
NAML