Indicator flasher unit

Dave W
What was the original flasher unit and were the indicators T 140?

Re: Indicator flasher unit

Hendred
Lucas 8FL Type 36 fitted to my bike.

These seem to be be equivalent part numbers:

Lucas 8FL 36
Lucas SFB 114
Lucas 35048

Two spade connectors only on top of metal can.

Hope this helps.

Re: Indicator flasher unit

The indicators themselves were either the Lucas type as you say fitted to T140's or in some cases on the later bikes they could have been Suzuki like those fitted to GS750's as with the handlebar switches.

I have Lucas on both my bikes.

Re: Indicator flasher unit

staffs
Lucas were the only indicators fitted to a Silk. To avoid the flashing side of the indicator facing you or pointing at the ground a little thread lock on the internal nut and stork is a good idea. I cut a slot in a ring spanner so I can pass it over the wire and tighten on the bike as an assembly. What ever you do go easy with the torque as being plastic they crack very easily and now cost a lot of money to replace for a very poor design.

Re: Indicator flasher unit

Thanks Clive for that confirmation I believed Hendred's bike was originally fitted with the Suzuki parts but I stand corrected on that. Being both my bikes have the Suzuki switch gear it did not strike me as strange that other Suzuki parts were used.

Re: Indicator flasher unit

Hendred
Yes, my bike does have Stanley (Suzuki) indicators fitted.  They were on the bike when I got it and didn't know if they were original or not - now I know!  Thought they may not original as the threads are metric.  What is the stem length on the original Lucas units?

Re: Indicator flasher unit

Hi Jon mine are both standard Lucas short stem at front and the long stem at back exactly the same as fitted on a T140 Bonneville etc. 2 x 3 inch and 2 x 5 inch stems.

Mind you I link the Stanley one's you have fitted they look smart and very period I would leave them, and they work and dont come loose.

Re: Indicator flasher unit

Hendred
Paul

Thanks for the dimensions of the stems.  I'll leave well alone for now - there are more important things to look at.  I'm going to upgrade the charging system rectifier/regulator to a modern unit.  Not sure the zenner diode is regulating properly.  Also gives more power as the alternator isn't working flat out all the time - not that I'll notice the difference!

Re: Indicator flasher unit

Hendred
Correction - my indicators are by Tokai Denso for Suzuki, not Stanley as in previous posting.  Getting confused with Japannese headlights!