Headlight Bulbs

hendred
Restarting an old topic.  If you have the original Lucas headlight the 463 bulbs from Lucas have long been obsolete.  The Ring Automotive replacement gives a very strange beam pattern.  The dip beam seemed to go the wrong way - up not down. I have now sourced an original Lucas 463 bulb and compare the two.  The shielding for the dip beam on the Ring bulb is 180 degrees out compared to the Lucas and the main beam filament is in a slightly different position.  Be interesting to hear what my MOT man says this year as he commented that the beam pattern was wrong with the Ring bulb.  The bulbs came from a Lucas Brighteyes Conversion Set for Ford, Chrysler

Re: Headlight Bulbs

hendred
Went for the MOT this morning, headlamp beam now perfect with the old stock Lucas bulb.  Have contacted Ring about the differences between the bulbs. If the current bulb lasts as long as the original I should be good for the  next 70 years!

Re: Headlight Bulbs

hendred
Have just acquired another old stock Lucas bulb off eBay- cheaper than a new Ring bulb.  Have two spares now so won't bid on the remaining NOS Lucas bulb.  Ends in about 1 day if anybody interested.

Not over impressed with Ring - don't really seem interested to find out if they have a manufacturing problem. Will investigate if I want them too - not really now as I have sourced some good bulbs.