Headlamp Bulbs

Hendred
The headlamp bulb was blown on my Silk when I acquired it, still had the original reflector using a 463 bulb.  Got a replacement from Paul Goff but beam pattern not very good.  Found Ring make an R463 which is tested for the correct beam pattern.  Ring only supply dealers with packs of 10 and my local dealer was reluctant to buy 10 to get me one - not a big demand for the obsolete fitting!  Eventually found a Ring R463 on the internet, bought it and fitted it.  Took it for a test run last night and realised that I had main set as dip and vice versa.  It then became apparent that the dip beam was up in the air lighting the tops of trees. No wonder the light wasn't good!

Yes, the headlamp is the right way up in the shell!

Took a file to the lamp base and filled a slot directly opposite the original one and refitted the bulb.  Good beam pattern on main and dip.  Did the same to the Paul Goff bulb and that works well too.

The headlamp reflector still has the original Lucas sticker on the back stating 463 is the correct bulb.

Don't know if there is something strange about my reflector or the new bulbs have been manufactured the wrong way round.  Anyway all seems good now.

Re: Headlamp Bulbs

Sure the bike wasn't the wrong way up as well??

Re: Headlamp Bulbs

Hendred
Ah!   That explains the scratches on my helmet!

Re: Headlamp Bulbs

Saw some very good LED headlight bulbs today that fitted H4 and BPF

Re: Headlamp Bulbs

Hendred
Are the LED bulbs readily available?  I could do with some high power low wattage BPF bulbs for some other old bikes.

When you have a chance, could you check out a couple of things on your headlamp, assuming you are still using the Lucas original:

Pilot bulb position - above or below main bulb  (mine is below)
Position of ident which locates bulb in housing

Thanks

Trying to understand whether the bulb or the reflector is wrong.

Had a reasonably long ride on the Silk in the dark on Tuesday, really good headlight now compared with what it was like.  Could actually see where I was going!

Re: Headlamp Bulbs

will give you a call