Gearbox Gears

hendred
While I had the Silk gearbox apart I compared the gears with a set from a Velocette heavyweight gearbox.  The Velocette mainshaft gears look the same as the Silk and fit on the Silk mainshaft splines.  The Silk layshaft gears look the same as the Velocette but the layshaft bearings are bigger on the Silk.  So the layshafts are not directly interchangeabe.  As the gears are pressed on to the layshaft it may be possible to use Velocette gears on the Silk layshaft.  The gear selector forks were interchangeable between the two gearboxes.

Hope this sheds some light on the interchangeability of parts betwen the Silk and Velocette gearboxes.