Gear lever

Arthur Farrow
Any interest if I get somebody to cast up a few.

Proper alloy heat treated.

Re: Gear lever

hendred
Sorry, my MKII has a steel gear change lever.  Traditional right hand change.  Don't know what was fitted to left foot change bikes.

Re: Gear lever

gilesorton
Mine is left foot gear change, painted black but is magnetic so probably steel.

Re: Gear lever

Arthur Farrow
My bike is an early one (Frame 3) and has right hand change and an elegant and  "pretty" alloy gear lever...I have seen some fabricated steel ones of varying quality and assume these are non original.

Clive W and I discussed the alloy ones a long while back and he thought getting castings would be good, mine has been bent, buggered, straightened, welded, flushed down the toilet and I suspect used as a toothpick.

I'

ll await more responses to see if its viable

Re: Gear lever

hendred
Totally confused now.  I looked at my steel gear lever and it looks well made with very neat welds and a grease nipple.  Whoever made it made a neat job and looks right for the bike.  However, looking at pictures of bikes they certainly had alloy gear levers on MKII bikes.  The only problem is I couldn't find clear pictures of a right hand gear change on a bike later than a high fifties engine number.  Did Silk  change to a steel fabrication for the later bikes?  I Don't know.  If Clive is reading this may be he knows the answer.  Found a picture of George Silk's restored bike at Kop Hill Climb.  The gear change lever looks like highly polished stainless and nothing like my steel one or the alloy one.  Any idea at this time of the cost of an alloy lever?

Re[2]: Gear lever

Arthur Farrow
Hi there,

More progress today . 5 steps forward and 3 back....I will be posting a few queries separately to avoid a muddle of subjects. The Maroon one is George Silks ? I can only see a picture from the LH side. Looks like he has a L foot brake BUT instead of the dreadful abutment and cross over cable his brake goes through the holes on the frame ...one each side to the other side (then presumably a shorter cable or a rod.) . Logical!!

I have no idea how much the castings will cost. Depends on numbers and currently I have one...ME !!

Arthur Farrow

Totally confused now.  I looked at my steel gear lever and it looks well made with very neat welds and a grease nipple.  Whoever made it made a neat job and looks right for the bike.  However, looking at pictures of bikes they certainly had alloy gear levers on MKII bikes.  The only problem is I couldn't find clear pictures of a right hand gear change on a bike later than a high fifties engine number.  Did Silk  change to a steel fabrication for the later bikes?  I Don't know.  If Clive is reading this may be he knows the answer.  Found a picture of George Silk's restored bike at Kop Hill Climb.  The gear change lever looks like highly polished stainless and nothing like my steel one or the alloy one.  Any idea at this time of the cost of an alloy lever?

http://silk-motorcycles.6084.x6.nabble.com/Gear-lever-tp5001852p5001860.html
To unsubscribe from Gear lever, click here.
NAML

Avast logo

Re: Re[2]: Gear lever

ukpco
I've just checked mine, mk2 frame 79.
It's left hand with a steel lever and a neat crossover through the frame.

Re: Gear lever

Arthur Farrow
I want one of those !!!

Sent from my iPhone

Arthur Farrow

On 24 Apr 2020, at 20:17, ukpco [via Silk Motorcycles] <ml+[hidden email]> wrote:

I've just checked mine, mk2 frame 79.
It's left hand with a steel lever and a neat crossover through the frame.

http://silk-motorcycles.6084.x6.nabble.com/Gear-lever-tp5001852p5001863.html
To unsubscribe from Gear lever, click here.
NAML

Re: Gear lever

Yes Mk2 definitely welded steel lever with oil lite Bush

Re: Gear lever

Arthur Farrow
According to Clive early bikes were alloy on RIGHT side like mine. (Frame 3), but I expect most of you know that

Then for a while there was option of left or right foot change before going over to Left foot gearchange on later bikes after about Frame 50 ?. I guess my set up is fairly rare these days and there has been no interest in casting at all so Ill abandon the idea for making some castings.

The heat treating alone would have been a batch at £85 min charge so they might have been too expensive anyway.

Re: Gear lever

hendred
Frame 124, right foot gear change.  Looks like an option to the end.

Jon

Re[2]: Gear lever

Arthur Farrow
BTW are you Alan Connors friend ??

Frame 124, right foot gear change.  Looks like an option to the end.

Jon

http://silk-motorcycles.6084.x6.nabble.com/Gear-lever-tp5001852p5001902.html
To unsubscribe from Gear lever, click here.
NAML

Re: Re[2]: Gear lever

hendred
Yes, we are both in the Velocette Owners Club. Another friend of his has just acquired a Silk apparently. Don't have any details of that one though.

Re[4]: Gear lever

Arthur Farrow
Are you Jon Dunston ??

Yes, we are both in the Velocette Owners Club. Another friend of his has just acquired a Silk apparently. Don't have any details of that one though.

http://silk-motorcycles.6084.x6.nabble.com/Gear-lever-tp5001852p5001904.html
To unsubscribe from Gear lever, click here.
NAML

Re: Re[4]: Gear lever

hendred
No.  I don't put my identity on public forums because you never know who is looking.  Please contact me by private message if you need you contact me personally.

Thanks