Front Brake advice please

Arthur Farrow
Just poped the Spondon (ribbed) callipers apart and pistons look pretty stuck. They are a bit nasty heavy things arn't they ?

Anybody any experience of rebulding em or even replacing with AP or Grmeca units. Which ones fit chaps somebody must know?

Cheers and heres to smoking up your chimney in 2013

Re: Front Brake advice please

If you need I can let you borrow a carrier for the later AP twin disc set up so you could copy that?

Re: Front Brake advice please

hendred21
The calipers on my twin disc set up are Lockheed CP2195.  They require the adaptor plate in Paul's response to fit.

Re: Front Brake advice please

Staffs
I think you will find that the fork bottoms for the Spondon calipers are slightly different to the later Lockheed ones.  I have just gone into the workshop and offered a bracket up to a Spondon type caliper leg and no holes line up and no room to add any so it wont work.
I am fitting a Triumph four pot Nissan caliper to a silk at the moment. The mounting bracket was fairly easy to make but its all the other bits to make sure its safe that take the time. I am hoping after all this work that the master cylinder will work with it. I did this same caliper mod on my Commando with a single disc master cylinder like the Silk, the Norton brake was then fantastic.

  The modern sintered pads on the cast iron disc work great.
 You may notice I have mounted on the unmachined out side of the fork leg, this has yet to be skimmed to make the caliper parallel with the disc.
The spondon brakes are easy to service and you should find that standard type Lockheed seals will fit but at the end of the day even the guys from Spondon said they were crap brakes with no bite or feel, very wooden. If you have a look around for a modern replacement, just make sure that you have the clearance behind the caliper to clear the spokes the spokes. Some jap ones come in black and a nice grey colour. Regards Staffs

Re: Front Brake advice please

gasman
Administrator
Just to add a bit in the mix, I am messing around with a GPZ600 r/h calliper (well it was sold as that) on the Phoenix. This ones a twin pot. The bracket may look long but I am adding the sensor attachment for the electronic speedo to this.