Front Brake Shudder

Hendred
I have been experiencing increasing front brake shuddering, bad enough to fail a MOT using a rolling road brake tester. My old MOT place has closed and they used the static scales brake test.  New place has a rolling road so I needed to sort out the problem.  Checked discs for run out and took them off and cleaned up seatings and no significant improvement.  Noticed the brake pads overhang the outside edge of the discs, took the pads out and removed the "lip" from the edge of the pad and what a difference.  Shudder gone, brake more progressive and "clack" from the pads gone.  The pads are old, but not worn out, Ferodo.  The part number on the pad doesn't come up on the current Ferodo catalogue.  Question for other Silk owners - do your pads overhang the outside edge of the discs?  If they don't then I suspect I have some rogue pads fitted some time in the past.

Re: Front Brake Shudder

Hi Jon my pads look ok and don't overhang. Let me check what I have fitted and part numbers.

Re: Front Brake Shudder

Hendred
Thanks for looking Paul. I think someone has fitted non-standard pads at some time.  Don't know why because the correct ones are readily available - standard fitment on late seventies Triumphs.  They may be from a disc brake early mini as I have been told they are similar.  EBC FA016 or Ferodo or Mintex equivalents are the correct pad for the caliper and Andover Norton also list a suitable pad.  I'll get two new sets and then I know I have motorcycle type pad material.

Re: Front Brake Shudder

Hendred
Even more confused now!  The pads fitted were/are Ferodo FF504 with a pad material reference 2453.  This seems to be a material around in the 1980's.  Looking on AP Racing site the Ferodo FDB 342 pad is for the CP2195 caliper and is listed for several Triumph motorcycles from the Silk era.  A few Triumphs from this time, using the same caliper, used a Ferodo FRP 213 pad.  Both pads are 59.5mm wide with the FDB 342 51.5mm deep and the FRP 213 54.4mm deep.  EBC brakes list their FA16 as a replacement for both!

I bought some FDB342 pads and they are identical to the ones on the bike i.e they overlap the edge of the discs.  Would appreciate it if someone could measure their correctly fitting pads to determine the correct size - extracts from the Ferodo catalogue below - or the part numbers on the pads.

Ferodo FRP213 pads seem to be only available from Germany and Italy

AP Racing make APLMP123 pad which looks slightly different to the Ferodo FDB 342 and is for the CP2195 caliper - looks like a trip to Andover Norton to compare.

Thanks for your help

http://ecat.ferodoracing.com/index.php/motorcycle/brake-pads-and-shoes/FRP213#detail

http://ecat.ferodoracing.com/index.php/motorcycle/brake-pads-and-shoes/FDB342#detail