Engine troubles on maiden flight

peter Whitwell
Out for a maiden flight last evening on the 700s all excited, up to 70 and 6500 rev s  then a few funny noises - now it smokes like a good un what's the possibilities ? Starts ok but boy does it smoke - help

Re: Engine troubles on maiden flight

gasman
Administrator
Depends on smoke,

is the oil pump set right,
is there any primary chain oil left,
what noise,
6500rpm brave man
one cylinder or two, plug colour,
have you added oil to the petrol,
how much oil has it used from the tank,

Re: Engine troubles on maiden flight

MMM yes Kev is right do you have slack on the oil pump cable check the easy things first.

Plug colour again may give an indication and an easy check but also remember taking off the transfer port can give you a good view of the inside of your barrels if it comes to that after checking the obvious.
Kev

Re: Engine troubles on maiden flight

Kev
Any update Peter ????

Re: Engine troubles on maiden flight

peter Whitwell
Thanks for your assistance so Far

i checked the cable all seems well,

I got very enthusiast took the head off to find pistons well, and rings, but a gorge in a cylinder for some reason looks to me like it had broken ring or piston at some time and the repair honed as best he could but the gorge was deep,

Not detoured i have now had the cylinders relined beautiful job, unfortunately the lovely red paint job on the barrels was destroyed so currently being repainted then for reassembly.

still not found the real reason why the smoke but i will investigate further when we get the barrels back from the paint shop.

unless some has any further ideas?

Re: Engine troubles on maiden flight

Hendred
Just  a thought - is the silencer wadding saturated with oil?  If it is it will smoke when the engine is running hard and the silencer heats up.  What was left of the wadding was saturated on my bike.  New wadding made the engine run a lot better, less four stroking at small throttle openings and much quieter.