Engine oils?

Stenton
What is the current thinking on the best engine oil for a Silk Sabre?

Re: Engine oils?

Hendred
If you do a search on this forum for "oil" you will find several owners using Silkolene Comp 2 synthetic oil.  I use Morris Road  and Race 2 semi synthetic and a long term owner with 50,000 miles on the clock uses a mineral two stroke oil.  Gives a wide choice and price points for the oil. The oil pump chamber drains to the primary chain case and the long term owner found synthetic oils caused clutch slip, he does ride the bike quite hard.  I personally would only use a recognised brand of oil.

Hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your Silk.

Re: Engine oils?

Stenton.
Thank you for the helpful information. I have just bought a 1977 Silk 700s Mk2 which is in original unrestored condition with 13,477 recorded miles; VIN/Chassis/Frame No. 700S239, and engine No.700241. It has had, I believe, 3 previous owners. I have not yet tried to start it, but it turns over freely and has very considerable compression on each cylinder. I think it only requires cleaning and some minor cosmetic attention, but will report back as work proceeds.
Please may I have Clive Worrall`s address, as I think that could be useful; also any reliable sources of supply of spares, in case any are found to be needed.

Re: Engine oils?

Congrats saw that on eBay looks like a good potential bike.
Clive is contactable via Foxtwood cottages on the net.

I will add your bike to known bikes, shame it didnt appear earlier as I could have added it to my book.

Let me see if I can request the change prior to printing.

Re: Engine oils?

Comp2 for me, always use Silkolene except for gearbox as I am now using MTF94 also.