Dimensions

JJ

Dimensions

JJ
Clive is working on my 700s, while it has been gone I bought a wheelchair access Escort van. When time comes to collect my bike I'm wondering if it will fit in. Could someone out there please tell me the distance from the contact patch of the rear wheel to the front most point of the front tyre. Clive cant measure mine because it is still in bits.
 Good to know there are others out there with a divergent but excellent taste in bikes.
Apologies for my divergent but bad taste in vans but it was bought for other reasons; as an outdoor painting 'studio'.

Re: Dimensions

Hi I will measure mine tomorrow for you as I hope to get it out if the rain stops

Re: Dimensions

gasman
Administrator
But you have a Silk,  you have to have bad taste somewhere.

Re: Dimensions

Hi give or take an inch from the tip of the front wheel to the touch point on the back wheel it is 6 feet exactly.

Hope this helps?

Obviously there is another foot or so after the touch point but I guess you are not worried about this.

Re: Dimensions

silk
Hi JJ

The bike is to long to go into the back of the escort van and to close both doors safely. It helps with having the extra height because of the wheel chair. The problem is coming half way up behind the seats is a metal guard it stops the front wheel from passing through between the two seats, If you have a MK1 Escort van this guard is not there.you probably have a Mk 5 or 6. I think if you remove the front wheel and mudguard it will go in then you have the aggro of chocking the front end.

I would not risk damaging this lovely bike for the sake of a few quid it would be safer a easier to hire a van tie it down and get in done properly.

I have a proper bike trailer that you can use if its any use phone me 01502 476581 but I might be to far away

Ride safe

Andy
Ha Ha eat my oily clag
JJ

RE: Dimensions

JJ

That's kind of you Smokey, thanks.
The touch point of the rear wheel will have to go up on a bulkhead that runs accross the width of the van.
 Behind that the floor is dropped -to make the wheelchair ramp shorter without too steep an incline.
 My idea is that the rear No plate and back end of the bike will be between driver and passenger seats. As long as I can still use the van's handbrake and gearstick.
The ramp lifts yo upright and the two rear doors shut over it. I'm not sure if it will work but if it does the bike's steering will probably have to be on lock rather than straight, and I may need to cut a hole in the ramp where the front wheel comes, which will gain an inch or two.
If it wont fit I always fancied owning a hearse...
I'll collect the bike on a trailer and work it out when its home again.
Thanks again though.
JJ

Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 14:16:16 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Dimensions

Hi give or take an inch from the tip of the front wheel to the touch point on the back wheel it is 6 feet exactly.

Hope this helps?

Obviously there is another foot or so after the touch point but I guess you are not worried about this.

http://silk-motorcycles.6084.n6.nabble.com/Dimensions-tp4950413p4955093.html
To unsubscribe from Dimensions, click here.
NAML
JJ

RE: Dimensions

JJ

Its an Escort 'bonus' which I think has a longer wheel base.
There's no division between van and front seats, which may have been removed as part of the (extensive) conversion for w'chairs.
If it will go in I'll change the seats to narrower ones to accommodate the rear end of the bike.
The front of the bike with fairing isn't going to fit under the stepped roof so it will have to go in backwards.
When I get the bike back I'll send some pics.
JJ
Looking forward to making my own oily clag thanks!

Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 15:52:38 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

[...]

http://silk-motorcycles.6084.n6.nabble.com/Dimensions-tp4950413p4956534.html
To unsubscribe from Dimensions, click here.
NAML

RE: Dimensions

silk
Hi JJ

The bonus escort is a name I forgot having a couriers business for many years we used to road test ford vehicles for one year at a time or ford called it a program. Your van was sent to a special builder to fit the chair and fittings I know that the length varied only in ins over the years but the width between the inner wheel arches was made so a 1 meter pallet could fit inside, on the last modal the payload was 55 or 75.
Using a escort for carrying bikes is going to be tight using a trailer is easier. My offer stands if you want to borrow mine you can failing that I'm making a delivery in north Yorkshire this Thursday early in the morning and I will be coming past Clives place at about 10:00 am it would work if you are not far off the beaten track on  my way back to Lowestoft

Ride safe

Andy
Ha Ha eat my oily clag
JJ

RE: Dimensions

JJ
Andy
Thats a very kind offer and I appreciate it, but I have access to a trailer locally, and as I'm in Sussex it would be more than a small detour!
No problem towing; I haul my brother's Morgan 3 wheeler around sometimes, behind my Scimitar (which is '77 same as the bike)
Advantage of a van is the bike stays clean. If it will go in I'll have a temporary garage when I'm in the Island too. The original plan was to go this year but that has had to be shelved as it was unlikely to be ready in time. (a Honda 90 is not quite the thing!)
I'm not sure of the current progress, Clive was getting the paint organised a couple of weeks ago so it'll be a while yet before its all together.
Cheers

John

Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 15:41:24 -0700
From: [hidden email]