Carburettor

peter Whitwell
There seems to be a problem with the carb, the bike fails to run without the vent pipe on the side of the carb being sealed up any ideas?

Re: Carburettor

Hi Pete sorry I think we need more than that to help? Is it a Amal MkII still ? Is it original or a new replacement?

Have you cleaned and changed the jets and if a MKII have you changed the cold start sealing rubber mech?

Re: Carburettor

And the pilot jet in the base/bowl which is often missed.

Remember base settings can be found on this site here http://www.silk-motorcycles.org/carburettor.html

Re: Carburettor

peter Whitwell
Thanks for the help so far, I've not touched the carb so far at all, as you will see that I'm a new owner and i have dabbled into everything else in an investigative manner,  but I've not touched the carb as yet the previous owner told me he had struggled with the carb and the only thing he was able to do to make the bike run was to bung up this breather so i will have to investigate little further i understand the bike seems to have spent considerable amount of time lying idle which i realise does not help, the carb seems to be as Original Regards Peter

Re: Carburettor

strip it down completely and give it a good clean and check and report back. The jets and gauze filter can corrode over time and as above the choke rubber seals hardens and leaks also.

Re: Carburettor

peter Whitwell
Thanks very much for your help, i will get stuck in then report back my findings.

Regards
Peter

Re: Carburettor

Any news Peter

Re: Carburettor

peter Whitwell
Thanks Paul, I've been pressing on with the new paint work and steering yoke which are now complete so i,m getting closer to that Carb, Regards

Peter

Re: Carburettor extra

peter Whitwell
Paul, i finally got to starting the bike today still not stripped the carb as yet as i have been working my way around other bits and piece on the bike, the bung is still in the vent pipe as described before, i started the bike today fired 2 kick brill- then i took the choke off and it started to rev up  and reluctant to settle down again, although when on choke it responded to the throttle nicely any suggestions?

Regards
Peter

Re: Carburettor extra

Hi Peter yes as suggested above the choke is very strange indeed when the rubber perishes.

Reving up can be caused by running too lean also I will email you

Paul