Brake fluid

Stenton
I use Automec Silicone brake fluid instead of the usual type. It is formulated to American Mil-Spec requirements, does not absorb water, is anti-corrosive, is harmless to paintwork if accidentally spilled, and lasts for years without degrading. I put it in my 1978 BMW R65 9 years ago, and it is still perfect.

Re: Brake fluid

hendred
Interesting.   Looked into a bit and found quite a lot of information on silicone brake fluid.  Seems modern Harleys use it from new.  From what I can gather the brake system has to be completely free from glycol based brake fluid which usually means new seals and brake pipes to avoid any cross contamination.

 AP Racing do not recommend it for their products:

https://www.apracing.com/Info.aspx?InfoID=49&ProductID=3449

While silicone does appear to offer some advantages I'll stick with the glycol based fluid for now as it has taken me three years to figure out why the front brake didn't work very well and I don't want to replace all the pipes and seals again.

Be interesting to hear of other people's experience with silicone though.